Ward Rivers joined Deasey, Mahoney & Valentini, Ltd., in 2003 as an associate after enjoying a successful career in the insurance and reinsurance industry.
Ward mainly represents primary and excess carriers in matters involving disputed insurance coverage and bad faith. He has successfully represented clients in coverage matters, receiving summary judgments, negotiated rescissions, negotiated settlements, and defense verdicts.
Ward has extensive experience with construction defect litigation on behalf of several carriers and has issued numerous coverage opinions addressing complex issues under commercial general liability and professional liability policies. He has successfully advised clients regarding complicated coverage matters addressing claims-made policies, the application of indemnity provisions in construction contracts and the interpretation of additional insured endorsements. Recently, Ward has prepared opinions addressing intricate issues of cyber law including webscraping, false designation of origin and computer related offenses. Ward has also served as monitoring counsel and coordinating counsel in complex nursing home litigation.
With over 14 years of diverse experience prior to joining the firm, Ward has an extensive background in products liability, construction defects, workers’ compensation, asbestos and other long-term exposure claims. As a Reinsurance Claims Specialist with CIGNA for eight years, he analyzed and adjusted reinsurance claims and was also part of a task force established to analyze and interpret reinsurance treaties. Subsequently, for five years he was responsible for drafting and negotiating all types of reinsurance contracts covering life, annuity, variable annuity, accident, health, and major medical insurance for the AIG Life Companies (U.S.). While at AIG, Ward also had extensive experience interpreting statutory requirements for reinsurance contracts, including letters of credit and funds held, annual financial reporting, and holding company acts. Most recently, Ward was at ACE USA, where he was involved in addressing coverage for, and adjusting of, asbestos and silica claims and other long-term exposure claims.
Ward is married, with three children. His outside interests include music, biking, motorcycling, hiking, and camping.
- Deasey, Mahoney & Valentini, Ltd., 2003–Present
- ACE USA – Philadelphia, 2002–2003
- AIG Life Companies (U.S.) – Wilmington, Del., 1996–2002
- CIGNA – Philadelphia, 1989–1996
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
Awards and Designations
- Alpha Chi National Honor Society
- Member of Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society (undergraduate)
- Phi National Honor Society, Harrington Inn (Widener Law)
Ward has authored, developed and/or presented the following presentations:
- Hot Topics in Insurance Litigation: Consent to Settle and Rescission (2016)
- Best Practices for Defending Professional Liability Claims in Florida, New Jersey, New York and Ohio (2012)
- Construction Defect Litigation – A Four State Survey (Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania (2012)
- An Overview of the Insurability of Punitive and Exemplary Damages in the 50 United States (2011)
- Duties and Responsibilities of Primary and Excess Carriers During the Life of the Claim (2010)
- Overview of Comparative Negligence and Joint and Several Liability in the United States (2004)
- Charter Oak Ins. Co. v. Maglio Fresh Foods, 45 F. Supp. 3d 461 (E.D. PA 2014)
- Charter Oak Ins. Co. v. Maglio Fresh Foods, 979 F. Supp. 2d 581 (E.D. PA 2013)
- Treadways LLC v. Travelers Indem. Co., 467 Fed. Appx. 143 (3d. Cir. 2012)
- Cigna Ins. Co. v. Executive Risk Indem. Inc., 111 A.3d 204 (Pa. Super. 2014)