Edward J.Murphy, Jr.
Edward J. Murphy, Jr. is Of Counsel at Deasey, Mahoney & Valentini, Ltd. Ed joined the firm in 2023 and brings twenty years of experience litigating claims for and providing advice to employers in the behavioral health and related fields.
Ed focuses on a broad range of employment-related matters and complex commercial litigation. He represents employers at all stages of employment discrimination claims, including matters pending before the Equal Opportunity Employment Commission, the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission, the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations, and the New Jersey Division of Civil Rights. He also focuses his representation on companies in the healthcare, behavioral health, human services, drug and alcohol, long-term care, and assisted living industries.
He has handled claims under Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and other federal, state, and local employment discrimination laws. He has also handled Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Individuals with Disabilities in Education (IDEA), product liability, breach of contract, unfair trade practices, and construction-related matters.
Some highlights of Mr. Murphy’s recent representation include:
- Obtaining a complete defense verdict at trial for an international computer and technology manufacturer in an Unfair Trade Practices and Consumer Protection Act and Breach of Warranty claim filed in the Court of Common Pleas for Philadelphia County.
- Securing dismissal of all claims on summary judgment against a Philadelphia based Drug and Alcohol treatment provider filed in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Securing dismissal on preliminary objections of sexual harassment, race-based discrimination and retaliation claims pending in Northumberland County against a Juvenile Justice facility.
- Obtaining a complete defense verdict at trial for a non-profit children’s behavioral health and rehabilitation services provider brought by a former employee alleging discrimination and retaliation.
- Securing dismissal of all claims made against a corporate defendant, two of its subsidiaries, and two of its managers alleging race discrimination, retaliation, harassment, and various state law torts in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Securing dismissal of a Section 1981 race discrimination action filed in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania alleging race discrimination against a provider of early education and intervention services and two of its managers.
- Securing dismissal of all claims against a subsidiary’s corporate parent in a Title VII race and retaliation action filed in the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
- Securing dismissal on preliminary objections of defamation and tortious interference with contract claims brought by a former employee against a Philadelphia-based human services provider.
- Securing dismissal on preliminary objections of defamation claims brought by two former employees against a Philadelphia-based behavioral health and rehabilitation services provider.
- Defeating a motion for preliminary injunction in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania seeking to enjoin three high-level executives and a newly formed corporation from competing in the Pennsylvania and New Jersey insurance marketplace.
- Obtaining judgment on behalf of one of the nation’s largest behavioral health providers in a putative class action brought in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania asserting national origin discrimination and retaliation.
- Securing dismissal on behalf of one of the nation’s largest behavioral health providers of all class-based claims in two putative class actions in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania asserting national origin discrimination, religious discrimination, and retaliation.
Mr. Murphy is admitted to practice in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, the United States District Court for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Pennsylvania, the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, and the Supreme Court of the United States. Mr. Murphy is a member of the Montgomery County Bar Association. He obtained his J.D. in 2003 from the Villanova University School of Law and his B.A. in 1999 from Washington & Lee University where he was a two-sport athlete and captain of both sports. He was named a “Philly Do Gooder” for his work with Big Brothers Big Sisters program and currently coaches youth baseball and soccer while serving on the board for a local soccer club.
- Deasey, Mahoney & Valentini, Ltd. – 2023 to present
- Murphy and Associates – 2012 to 2023
- Kelley & Murphy –2006-2012
- Conrad O’Brien Gellman & Rohn – 2003 to 2006
- Montgomery County Bar Association