William (“Bill”) Rubert is Of Counsel with Deasey, Mahoney & Valentini, Ltd. Bill has been with the firm for over nine years, and has over 35 years of civil litigation experience.
In the course of his practice, Bill has taken over 30 cases to verdict in the Federal and State Courts of Pennsylvania and New Jersey, for both primary and excess carriers, in addition to handling numerous high-value uninsured and underinsured motorist arbitrations.
Insurance coverage constitutes a significant aspect of Bill’s practice. He regularly provides coverage advice to a variety of insurers, and has participated in drafting policy endorsements to cover (or exclude) specialty risks. Bill litigates declaratory judgment and bad faith actions, as well as actions involving contractual indemnification and other risk-shifting strategies, primarily in states east of the Mississippi. Bill was selected for several years as a Pennsylvania “Super Lawyer” in the area of Insurance Coverage.
Bill handles the defense of construction site accidents. He also defends product liability cases for major manufacturers, both directly and through their insurers, involving products as diverse as medical devices, grinding wheels, sport utility vehicles, cranes, metal halide light fixtures, sawmill conveyor systems, air compressors, specialty paints, and tree stump grinders. He is experienced in commercial vehicle litigation and has handled a number of multi-vehicle chain reaction accidents such as a consolidated suit arising out of a 43-vehicle chain reaction accident involving 25 tractor trailers and six deaths. He also handles professional liability matters, involving claims against design professionals, insurance agents and brokers, drug treatment facilities and physicians.
Bill has argued cases in the Pennsylvania Superior Court and also has appellate experience in the Third Circuit Court of Appeals. A number of his federal court cases have resulted in reported decisions.
Property damage matters also represent a major area of Bill’s practice. He litigates multi-million dollar property damage cases caused by alleged construction defects, and also caused by discrete events – fire, explosion, collapse, sprinkler discharge, flooding and mold. He also assists insurance carriers in investigating and litigating arson matters.
Bill is married with two children and three grandchildren. He is actively involved in his church, as a member of its choir and its orchestra, and as an elder. He is active with a local Boy Scout troop as a trustee and merit badge counselor. In his free time, he enjoys carpentry and home remodeling.
Deasey, Mahoney & Valentini, Ltd., 2012 – Present
Campbell, Campbell, Edwards & Conroy, P.C., 2004 – 2012
Post & Schell, P.C., 2000 – 2004
Staff Legal, Zurich Insurance Company, 1994 – 2000
LaBrum & Doak, 1987-1994
J. Bruce McKissock & Associates, 1985 – 1987
Law Clerk to the Honorable Forrest G. Schaeffer, P.J., 1984 – 1985
- Eastern, LLC v. Travelers Casualty Insurance Company of America, 2020 WL 5534060 (E.D. Pa. 2020)
- Knightbrook Insurance Company v. Northfield Insurance Company, 158 F. Supp 3d 336 (E.D. Pa. 2016)
- Firemen’s Insurance Company of Washington, D.C. v. Tray-Pak Corporation, 130 F.Supp.3d 973, E.D. Pa. 2015
- Lempke v. General Electric, 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 96185, E.D. Pa 2011
- EMC v. Loos, 476 F. Supp. 2d 478, W.D. Pa. 2007
- EMC v. Penn Township, 2005 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 3432, E.D. Pa. 2005
- Continental Casualty v. Gezon, 1994 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 7190, E.D. Pa. 1994
- Allstate v. Brown, 834 F. Supp. 854, E.D. Pa. 1993
- Hutton v. DRPA, 1992 U.S. Dist. 19945, E.D. Pa. 1992
- Federal Kemper v. Reager, 810 F. Supp. 150, E.D. Pa. 1992
- Federal Kemper v. Sosdorf, 770 F. Supp. 264, E.D. Pa. 1991
- Thomas v. Stone Container Corporation, 1989 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 6897, E.D. Pa. 1989
- Leggett v. National Union, 583 Pa. 62, 874 A.2d 1159, 2005
Montgomery Bar Association
Pennsylvania Bar Association
Philadelphia Bar Association
Awards and Designations
Hyman Goodman Award, Villanova University School of Law
- Superlawyer, Insurance Coverage 2015 & 2016
Publications & Lectures
“Handling Cases With Claims Of Negligence, Strict Liability And Breach Of Warranty” – Presented at several ABA meetings, and then published in The Brief, Fall, 2008, Volume 38 No. 1.