Penelope “Penny” B. O’Connell is Of Counsel with Deasey, Mahoney & Valentini, Ltd. Penny joined the firm in 2018, after having been a director at a multi-jurisdiction insurance defense firm.
For over a decade, Penny has appeared before state and federal courts in the region to ensure that her clients receive fair and equitable results.
Penny’s years of experience practicing in Delaware, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey have involved litigating a variety of cases, including institutional defense of sexual abuse claims, personal injury, banking and financial torts, contract construction and disputes, premises liability, toxic torts, and property damage claims. During that time, she gained extensive experience in defending schools, parishes, non-profit organizations, and religious orders against decades-old claims of child sexual abuse. Penny sat second chair for the nine-week John Vai v. St. Elizabeth School trial in Dover, Delaware, and she served on the trial team for the well-known James Sheehan v. Oblates of St. Francis de Sales trial in Wilmington, Delaware in 2009.
In addition to her considerable experience with discovery and motion practice, Penny has negotiated the resolution of numerous cases to her clients’ satisfaction. She is also a Delaware-certified mediator.
Penny is proud to call South Philadelphia home. In her free time, Penny enjoys exploring her city, hitting local golf courses, and traveling. She is an advocate for animal welfare issues and is a former member of the Board of Directors of Faithful Friends, Delaware’s premier no-kill animal shelter.
- Deasey, Mahoney & Valentini, Ltd., May 2018–Present
- Maron Marvel Bradley Anderson & Tardy, LLC – Philadelphia, PA, 2015-2018
- Eckert Seamans Cherin & Mellott, LLC – Wilmington, DE, 2012-2015
- Elzufon Austin Reardon Tarlov & Mondell, PA – Wilmington, DE, 2005-2012
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Delaware Bar Association
- Elliott v. Archdiocese of New York, 682 F.3d 213 (3d Cir. 2012)
- McClain v. Citizen’s Bank, N.A., 57 F. Supp. 3d 438 (E.D. Pa. 2014)
- Marin v. Comerica Inc., No. CV 12-976-LPS, 2014 WL 3974871 (D. Del. Aug. 8, 2014)
- Thompson v. Roman Catholic Archbishop of Washington, 735 F. Supp. 2d 121 (D. Del. 2010)
- Eureka Res., LLC v. Range Res.-Appalachia, LLC, 62 A.3d 1233 (Del. Super. Ct. 2012)
- Sheehan v. Oblates of St. Francis de Sales, 15 A.3d 1247 (Del. 2011)