Athena Pappas is a partner with Deasey, Mahoney & Valentini, Ltd. She is originally from Buffalo, New York, and graduated cum laude from the State University of New York at Geneseo. She received the John J. LaFalce Merit Scholarship for her education at Villanova University School of Law. She participated in the Civil Justice Clinic while at Villanova, representing low-income clients in various civil matters.
Athena is a leader of the firm’s Social Services and Human Services Claims department. Athena’s practice focuses on defending various types of social and human services organizations, ranging from foster care agencies, Community Umbrella Agencies (CUA), churches, religious orders, schools, day care centers, early education programs, colleges and universities, hospitals, summer camps, mental health providers (both inpatient and outpatient programs), residential treatment facilities, juvenile residential facilities and organizations serving disabled persons. Athena also defends physicians and long-term care facilities in malpractice actions. Further, Athena has experience in representing licensed professionals in state board investigations, as well as counseling mental health providers in complying with state and federal privacy statutes and regulations when responding to subpoenas or when asked to testify on behalf of their patients. Athena is also the longtime attorney for a Philadelphia County municipal authority with regards to their various general liability matters.
Athena has been named as a Super Lawyers Rising Star in Pennsylvania from 2010-2020. She was also recently elected to serve a three year term on the Executive Committee for the Philadelphia Association of Defense Counsel.
In her spare time, Athena volunteers for the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network’s Philadelphia Affiliate and was the inaugural recipient of its annual Pia Miller Volunteer of the Year Award.
- Deasey, Mahoney & Valentini, Ltd., 2009–Present
- Kane, Pugh, Knoell, Troy & Kramer, LLP, 2005–2009
- Civil Justice Clinic, Villanova University, 2004
- The Honorable Arnold New, Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas, Civil Division, Summer Law Clerk, 2003
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Philadelphia Association of Defense Counsel
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Executive Committee of the Philadelphia Association of Defense Counsel (PADC)
Awards and Designations
- John J. LaFalce Merit Scholarship (Villanova Law)
- Super Lawyers PA Rising Star, 2010-2020